JammedUp News


Captive Forgives Courteous Gunman who Held Up Law Firm in Oklahoma

November 14, 2014  |  Posted by: Giovanni DePhillips
Captive Forgives Courteous Gunman who Held Up Law Firm in Oklahoma Image courtesy of abcnews.go.com

Are you in a legal jam? Find a Lawyer, Bail Bondsman or Private Investigator on JammedUp.

According to the Daily News, A “courteous” gunman who held up several people in a law firm in Oklahoma was arrested by police after a four-hour stand-off — and one captive said she forgives him.

Devin Rogers, 29, was apprehended by cops and booked in the Cleveland County jail on charges of kidnapping, assault with a deadly weapon, illegally discharging a weapon and possessing a weapon while committing a felony for his freaky episode on Monday, according to NewsOK.

Image courtesy of nydailynews.com

Image courtesy of nydailynews.com

Jennifer McMinn-Shokat, a paralegal at the Farzaneh Law Firm, was inside the building when Rogers appeared at their office door holding another man with a gun to his head.

Image courtesy of nydailynews.com

Image courtesy of nydailynews.com

“At first, you’re so dumbfounded,” McMinn-Shokat told NewsOK. “You’re just shocked that this is happening, and it takes you a minute to even believe it.”

The terrified paralegal and a co-worker locked the doors of the office and ran away — but Rogers managed to fire shots through the glass.

“When I heard the gunshots, I was afraid, I didn’t know what happened to the gentleman that he had, so I was hiding under my desk,” McMinn-Shokat said. “I’m thinking the worst. At that point, I was hoping that he hadn’t seen me, but he had and he told me to stand up.”

But after he instructed her to close the blinds and sit in a chair, she said, he appeared to be a different person.

“When he first came in there, I was pretty hysterical,” she said. “He actually calmed me down and assured me, ‘I’m not going to hurt you.’ He was very nice, and at that point I started calming down and I kind of went into survival mode at that point.”

She said Rogers told her that he fought in Iraq and Afghanistan, that he was a California native and he couldn’t get anything better than a minimum wage job. She also said he allowed her to use her cell phone to call her family and friends.

“He just said he just wanted to go to jail. He felt that he had no more value in society and that he just wanted to go to jail and be in solitary confinement for the rest of his life,” McMinn-Shokat said.

While she was talking to her confessing captor, other terrified workers were hiding in adjacent offices.

“It never crossed my mind to try to run or try to fight him,” she said. “He was a 6-foot-4 gentleman, he’s very tall, and I’m pretty small. My tactic and survival instinct just kicked in and I was like, ‘If I could just get him to talking and get him to like me as much as possible, hopefully that will work out.’”

He finally let McMinn-Shokat go unharmed about 4:30 p.m. and surrendered peacefully to authorities, Norman Police Department Captain Tom Easley told the Daily News.

After the ordeal, McMinn-Shokat said her courteous captor wasn’t really too much of a threat.

“My gut instinct told me that he wasn’t going to hurt me,” McMinn-Shokat said. “I was 95 percent sure he was not going to hurt me. He was extremely courteous. He even apologized for the situation and said, ‘I just want to negotiate and I’m sorry to put you through this.’”

She said she forgives him.

“I actually bear no ill will toward him,” she said. “I don’t believe he was necessarily a bad person. I believe he was more of a broken person.”

Authorities are still investigating a motive. Easley told The News that he expects Rogers to be formally charged Wednesday afternoon.

“The investigation is a long way from completion,” he said. “We have submitted preliminary information to the prosecutor’s office with the goal of the prosecutor filing charges.”

Get the latest news from the world of crime