JammedUp News

News

FBI Officially Uncover North Korea as Being Responsible for Hack Attack Hacking Sony

December 18, 2014  |  Posted by: JammedUp
FBI Officially Uncover North Korea as Being Responsible for Hack Attack Hacking Sony Image Courtesy of the Huffington Post

Are you in a legal jam? Find a Lawyer, Bail Bondsman or Private Investigator on JammedUp.

The FBI has connected North Korea to the Sony Pictures cyberattack, a federal law enforcement source told Fox News Wednesday, hours after the company announced it had scrapped the Dec. 25 release of “The Interview” after a number of major movie chains said they would not show the film.

The administration reportedly will call out North Korea on its role on Thursday.

However, the source also told Fox the hacking attack did not necessarily come from inside the borders of North Korea.

Until Wednesday, the Obama administration had been saying it was not immediately clear who might have been responsible for the computer break-in. North Korea has publicly denied it was involved.

In canceling the Christmas day release, Sony released a statement saying, “In light of the decision by the majority of our exhibitors not to show the film The Interview, we have decided not to move forward with the planned December 25 theatrical release. We respect and understand our partners’ decision and, of course, completely share their paramount interest in the safety of employees and theater-goers.”

Later, a Sony spokesman said the company had no further release plans for the film, Variety reported.

As of Wednesday AMC Entertainment, Regal Cinemas, Cineplex and Cinemark had opted to drop the movie after the hackers issued threats that implied the theaters showing the movie were terror targets. According to TMZ, Bow Tie Cinemas also canceled planned showings of the movie.

In its statement, Sony also said the company was “the victim of an unprecedented criminal assault against our employees, our customers, and our business. Those who attacked us stole our intellectual property, private emails, and sensitive and proprietary material, and sought to destroy our spirit and our morale.”

It added, “we stand by our filmmakers and their right to free expression and are extremely disappointed by this outcome.”

The U.S. government reportedly gave the thumbs-up to the ending of the film in which North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un’s head blows up.

New hacked emails also reveal that Sony execs showed a rough cut of the film “The Interview” to at least two U.S. government officials who gave it the OK, according to the Daily Beast.

The site reports that the State Department had an active role in deciding whether or not Kim Jong-un’s gruesome death scene at the conclusion of the film would be included, and officials signed off on the controversial scene.

The Sony hacking saga took a sinister turn on Tuesday when hackers sent a message and threatening to target theaters showing “The Interview” in a 9/11 type attack.

Sony then told theaters they will not be penalized should they choose not to show it.

From Fox News

Get the latest news from the world of crime