JammedUp News

News

San Francisco 49ers Defensive Lineman Ray McDonald Released After Sexual Assault Allegations Surface

December 18, 2014  |  Posted by: Giovanni DePhillips
San Francisco 49ers Defensive Lineman Ray McDonald Released After Sexual Assault Allegations Surface Image courtesy of nydailynews.com

Are you in a legal jam? Find a Lawyer, Bail Bondsman or Private Investigator on JammedUp.

The San Francisco 49ers have released defensive lineman Ray McDonald amid allegations of sexual assault.

49ers general manager Trent Baalke announced McDonald’s release on Wednesday, which the team tweeted out

Baalke also added that the decision to release McDonald is a case of “poor decisions” that forced the team’s hand, via Cam Inman of the Bay Area News Group:

Earlier on Wednesday, Matt Barrows of The Sacramento Bee reported that McDonald was being investigated for an alleged sexual assault:

According to police, at approximately 10:43 a.m. on Tuesday police received a call from a local hospital regarding a possible sexual assault victim who was receiving treatment. Officers responded and made contact with the adult female victim. The victim said she was possibly sexually assaulted a day prior. The preliminary investigation revealed the alleged suspect was Ray McDonald.

A month ago, the Santa Clara district attorney’s office dropped domestic violence charges against McDonald stemming from an alleged incident in August, per Tim Keown of ESPN.com.

The 49ers said throughout McDonald’s domestic violence case that they were going to let due process play out before making any decision on his status with the team. It’s clear the team’s stance has changed in light of this latest news.

McDonald, 30, appeared in all 14 of San Francisco’s games so far this season but was also a source of distraction due to his off-field incidents. He has been with the 49ers all eight years he has been in the NFL.

Get the latest news from the world of crime