JammedUp News


Police Chief Describes Video Footage in Death of Google Exec Forrest Hayes

January 26, 2015  |  Posted by: Giovanni DePhillips
Police Chief Describes Video Footage in Death of Google Exec Forrest Hayes Imahe courtesy of malaysia-chronicle.com

Are you in a legal jam? Find a Lawyer, Bail Bondsman or Private Investigator on JammedUp.

Footage of the final moments of a Google executive life after injecting a fatal heroin overdose on his yacht with a high-end escort, has been described in shocking detail by the police chief involved in the investigation.

Forrest Hayes, just took a position at the ultra secret Google X office – where the firm makes unimaginable inventions a reality – when he died in Santa Cruz, California, in November 2013.

The person who was with Hayes at the time of his death was Alix Tichelman, 27. She will stand trial for manslaughter, drug charges and prostitution on February 23, She has pleaded not guilty to all the charges.

The prosecution’s only vital piece of evidence which the entire case hangs on, is a video of the entire night, taken by cameras aboard the yacht, which was uploaded on cloud space.

The footage finally became available after three months, when police obtained a court order to view the footage and use it as evidence, which has turned the tide for the prosecution.

‘Initially, we were told that the video wasn’t available from that particular camera – that actually showed the cabin of the boat. There was indeed video that was uploaded to a cloud server. And the video from that camera was indeed available,’ Santa Cruz Deputy Police Chief Steve Clark tells 48 Hours in a new documentary about the case.

‘That was one of those moments where you feel like, you know, it was 4th and 1. And you got a first down.’

Actually, it took three months and a court order for detectives to get their hands on that video. When they did, it was explosive.

‘That video was shocking to me,’ Clark told CBS.

‘Well, the video’s everything. The video is the case.’

Clark have details of the footage to reporter Maureen Maher: ‘They greet each other – a quick hug – just a quick embrace. You can see that they’re engaged in conversation. But there’s no audio,’ Clark said.

‘Then, eventually, she gets to the point where she starts to prepare drugs… for injection.

‘We see her very clearly. She brought all of the equipment with her. She brought the drugs with her.

‘We see her prepare the syringe. We see her – it looks like she’s injecting herself, but her back’s to the camera.

‘He watches this happen. And then she eventually injects him.’

Clark continued, “I get the impression… he’s nervous. He’s uncertain. But he’s going along with it.

“Almost immediately, he starts to go into distress. At some point, she comes to him. It looks like she tries to revive him a bit… by patting him on the face and talking to him, holding his head as he slumped forward on the chair.

“And you or I, if we found ourselves in that situation, would’ve been on the phone to 911, saying: “Oh, my gosh. Something terrible’s happened. We need help.” And she does none of that.’

In a move that will likely prove crucial to the case, Clark says, Tichelman is seen cleaning up the drugs, wiping fingerprints from the scene, then stepping over Hayes’s lifeless body to leave.

‘She is literally walking around the cabin of the boat… stepping over him, grabbing her glass of wine, carrying it around the boat cabin with her,’ he says.

For seven minutes, he tells Maher, Hayes is left alone.

‘And that’s seven minutes that emergency medical personnel could’ve been there could have done something and could have reacted to this situation to save Mr. Hayes’ life. But instead, she does nothing, nothing to call for help or to fix this. You know, and that’s the crux of the case,’ Clark said.

Clark’s description of the footage comes as
Tichelman prepares for her trial in February.

She has pleaded not guilty to charges of manslaughter, prostitution and transportation and sales of narcotics. She in custody on $1.5 million bond.

‘We’ve always been curious in regard to Mr. Hayes’ receptiveness, if not welcoming purchase, of drugs,’ public defender Jerry Christensen told the judge on Friday. ‘It would make a great deal of difference in regard to the drug crimes.’

At her latest court appearance, in December, Tichelman rolled her eyes at camera crews and reporters as she entered the courtroom dressed in orange jail garb.

Tichelman, 27, was arrested eight months later after police discovered the harbor’s surveillance video.

The squad lured her to her arrest by using a fake social media profile, posing as a potential client.

‘My client Alix didn’t do anything to Mr. Hayes that he didn’t want to happen to him,’ defense attorney Larry Biggam said at a procedural hearing today, according to NBC.

‘She did what she was asked. Consensual adults involved in mutual drug usage. It went wrong but it wasn’t intended.’

Biggam also called on police to release the full surveillance video taken from the boat, which prosecutors are using as evidence for a number of allegations.

Her defense team has only seen 20 minutes of the footage described in court but Biggam insists it shows the overdose was ‘accidental’.

She now faces eight charges which all carry 15-year jail terms, including manslaughter, prostitution, destroying evidence and several related to administering and possessing heroin.

Tichelman, who met her clients through a website called Seeking Arrangement, which is a Sugar Daddy website, where wealthy men connect with women looking for special arrangements,

The two had exchanged texts and emails with Hayes and met with him a few times before the deadly November 26 encounter.

She called herself a ‘model’ in jail records.

From CBS and Daily Mail

Get the latest news from the world of crime