JammedUp News

News

Gang Member Hit With $1 Million Bail In Bronx Shooting

August 17, 2015  |  Posted by: JammedUp Staff
Gang Member Hit With $1 Million Bail In Bronx Shooting

Are you in a legal jam? Find a Lawyer, Bail Bondsman or Private Investigator on JammedUp.

(Are You In a legal Jam? Find a Lawyer, Bail Bondsman and Private Investigator on JammedUp)

A teenage gang banger, who has been charged with almost killing a rival gang member with the same gun later used to murder a Bronx 14-year-old in broad daylight was slammed Thursday with $1 million bail.

Julian Cepeda, 16, allegedly part of the notorious “6 Wild” gang known for moving narcotics in Morrisania, will likely stay at Rikers Island thanks to the hefty bail set for his alleged April 6 shooting of Terrence Melendez .

Another member of the gang, Travis Bloch, 28, used the same gun to pump 16 bullets into 14-year old gang rival Christopher Duran as he walked to school a month later, said Assistant District Attorney Christine Scaccia in Bronx Supreme Court.

Cepeda’s lawyer argued that his client’s bail should have been reduced because he had earlier been held without any bail after mistakenly being connected to Duran’s murder.

bs_resized

Christopher Duran, 14, (l.) was fatally shot May 22 in what police suspect was a gang-related shooting and 28-year-old Travis Bloch (r.) pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder in the teen’s death.

Authorities eventually tagged Jeremiah Thomas, 16, as Bloch’s accomplice in Duran’s killing instead.

Cepeda’s attorney claimed his client’s alleged shooting victim, Melendez, hasn’t been cooperating with prosecutors.

“There are no witnesses to this shooting,” attorney Jonathan Sussman said. “We don’t believe this is a very strong case.”

Bronx Justice George Villegas denied his request to have Cepeda’s bail lowered and adjourned the case to Nov. 10.

Get the latest news from the world of crime