JammedUp News


NYPD arrest 4 teens for the gang rape of 18-year-old girl in Brooklyn playground

January 11, 2016  |  Posted by: JammedUp Staff
NYPD arrest 4 teens for the gang rape of 18-year-old girl in Brooklyn playground

Are you in a legal jam? Find a Lawyer, Bail Bondsman or Private Investigator on JammedUp.

The NYPD arrested a group of Four teenagers late Sunday for the gang rape of an 18-year-old girl at a Brooklyn playground, with a fifth suspect still being sought.

According to investigators, two of the teenaged suspects willingly surrendered. Officers apprehended the other two suspects. The accused teens, among them a 14-year-old, 17-year-old and two 15-year-olds, had charges pending late Sunday night.

The incident occurred on Thursday evening just after 9 p.m. Detectives said the five suspects held the girl and her father at gunpoint as they walked inside Osborn Playground in the Brownsville neighborhood of Brooklyn.

The armed teens pointed the gun at her parent and instructed him to leave. Then each of the men proceeded to rape the woman, police said. However, the father alerted authorities, and soon returned with two police officers, but at that point, the alleged attackers had already fled.

The victim was taken to Kings County Hospital for treatment and later released.

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said he was “disgusted and deeply saddened by the horrific attack in a statement. “Every New Yorker in every neighborhood deserves to feel safe and protected, and we will not stop until the perpetrators of this horrific attack are held accountable for their actions.”

Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams also voiced his disgust but also questioned why police took 48 hours after the rape to release a surveillance video showing the suspects inside a bodega before the alleged rape took place.

Police officials are defending their handling of the case.

In a statement, NYPD spokesman Stephen Davis responded by saying the commanding officer of the precinct started contacting local community leaders about the incident on Friday and maintained there was an immediate response by the police once they were alerted.

“A patrol car from the 73rd Precinct was approached on the street and told about the attack by the victim’s father, who directed the officers to the scene,” NYPD spokesman Stephen Davis said in a statement.

“The police officers immediately responded and located the victim,” but the suspects had already fled,” said Davis.

Get the latest news from the world of crime