JammedUp News

News

Police still have no suspects or motive in the murder of Chicago family

February 12, 2016  |  Posted by: JammedUp Staff
Police still have no suspects or motive in the murder of Chicago family

Are you in a legal jam? Find a Lawyer, Bail Bondsman or Private Investigator on JammedUp.

Investigators who are probing the mass murder of a family of six, including two children, in their Chicago home, say they still have no clues that could point to any possible suspects or a motive.

Authorities said the family, who migrated from Mexico were “targeted.”

A week after police officers made the gruesome discovery clues remain elusive and now the focuse of the investigation is centering on video evidence, the weapons used in the murders and conducting interviews with surviving friends and family members.

Five of the victims including the two children were stabbed to death using three knives or knife-like weapons. The other female victim was shot to death, according to Chicago police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi.

He added that Police detectives have questioned everyone from the children’s father, who recently arrived from his native Mexico to attend the funerals, along with teachers, and co-workers of the adults, as they search for what could have been a “catalyst for these homicides.”

“This was not a random event, something centered on that family,” Guglielmi said.

Marcelino Miranda, who is the consul for legal affairs at the Mexican consulate, said the U.S. government issued a humanitarian visa to the children’s father, Manuel Armando Cruz, the father of Leonardo Cruz, 13, and Alexis Cruz, 10, to travel to Chicago to claim the bodies.

He had arrived Wednesday from his home in Morelos, Mexico and will attend Sunday’s funeral services at St. Gall Catholic Church.

Armando-Cruz broke down as family members were allowed to enter the home for the first time on Thursday.

Among the murdered adult victims included the boys’ mother, Maria Herminia Martinez, 32; Rosaura Martinez, 58; and Noe Martinez Sr., 62, and Noe Martinez Jr., 32.

Authorities said the home showed no signs of forced entry when they found the victims on Feb.4th and said a home invasion or robbery preceding the slayings was unlikely, Guglielmi said.

Police also revealed they are investigating whether the family had any ties to drug traffickers.

“But do we have evidence of that today? The answer is no. And so far there’s no evidence any family members were involved in criminal activity,” Guglielmi stated.

Detectives are looking for any suspicious activity that took place in the area in the hours and days leading up to the killings from video downloaded from surveillance cameras on city buses passing by, and from security systems on other homes,” said Guglielmi.

U.S. investigators met with Mexican authorities at the Chicago consulate this week and requested assistance as they seek to speak with other extended family members in Mexico.

Miranda told The Associated Press that Mexicans have followed news of the killings closely and that the consulate has taken a particular interest in the case.

Both governments are helping with paperwork to send all six bodies to Mexico, Miranda said. Three adults will be buried in Guanajuato. The mother is from Guanajuato, but will be buried with her children in Morelos.

Said Miranda: “The family decided to keep the kids and the mother together.”

Get the latest news from the world of crime