JammedUp News


New Hampshire man accused of shooting two cops charged with attempted capital murder

May 14, 2016  |  Posted by: JammedUp Staff
New Hampshire man accused of shooting two cops charged with attempted capital murder

Are you in a legal jam? Find a Lawyer, Bail Bondsman or Private Investigator on JammedUp.

MANCHESTER, N.H. (AP) — A man accused of shooting and wounding two police officers in New Hampshire’s largest city is facing two counts of attempted capital murder.

Ian MacPherson, 32, of Manchester, was arrested early Friday after an intense three-hour pursuit. Authorities said he shot Officers Ryan Hardy and Matthew O’Connor. Hardy was hospitalized in stable condition, and O’Connor later returned home.

MacPherson likely will be arraigned Monday. No bail has been set.

Police Chief Nick Willard said Hardy stopped MacPherson on the city’s West Side around 2 a.m. Friday because he matched the description of a suspect in a gas station robbery the day before. MacPherson began to shoot at Hardy as soon as the officer announced himself, striking him in the face and torso, police said.

After being shot, Hardy called in MacPherson’s description and the direction in which he ran, Willard said.

“Officer Hardy’s reaction to being shot is beyond courageous, it’s remarkable,” Willard told said Friday afternoon in an emotional news conference.

About 20 minutes later, MacPherson encountered O’Connor and shot him in the leg before fleeing. O’Connor returned fire, Willard said, but MacPherson was not shot or wounded during his encounter with police.

Willard praised all of the officers involved for their pursuit of MacPherson. He did not provide details on how and where MacPherson was caught or what type of weapon he used in the shooting.

“They continued at their own peril to pursue a subject who shot two officers,” he said. “I cannot express deeply enough my profound respect.”

The shootings had the city on edge for hours. Residents were ordered to shelter in place, and several schools shut down for the day. There was a visible police presence on the city’s West Side for much of Friday morning, with police helicopters flying.

Mayor Ted Gatsas, a Republican, said later there was no remaining danger to the public.

Manchester’s West Side includes a mix of older homes converted into apartments and small businesses. People who live near the site of the shootings described an active police presence through much of the morning that began immediately after shots rang out.

Edward Villmore, who lives near the site of the first shooting, said he awoke to multiple gunshots around 2 a.m. and heard an immediate police response.

“Next thing you know there’s sirens and tires squealing,” he said.

Villmore said he eventually went back to sleep and was surprised to still see a police presence in the neighborhood when he woke up around 10 a.m.

Floyd Johnson, who lives near the site of the second shooting, described a similar scene of waking up to gunshots and immediately hearing police swarm into the area. Johnson said he told his 13-year-old son to get on the floor. Police also told Johnson to stay put, away from the windows.

Get the latest news from the world of crime