JammedUp News

News

California Police: Gun used to murder teen in Stockton belonged to mayor

July 31, 2016  |  Posted by: Francesca Falzarano
California Police: Gun used to murder teen in Stockton belonged to mayor

Are you in a legal jam? Find a Lawyer, Bail Bondsman or Private Investigator on JammedUp.

Stockton, California — A firearm taken from the mayor of Stockton’s residence, which he neglected to immediately report stolen, was used to murder a 13-year-old boy, prosecutors have revealed.

The San Joaquin County District Attorney’s Office announced in a report that one of two firearms stolen from Mayor Anthony Silva’s house was the weapon used in the 2015 murder of Rayshawn Harris.

A report released by the District Attorney’s Office indicates that Harris was in his driveway when he was shot to death in February of 2015, with a .40-caliber semi-automatic pistol that was registered under Silva’s name.

The statement regarding Silva and his gun was made public in response to a California Public Records Act request. The District Attorney’s Office stated that its principal motive in publishing the record was “a present request by law enforcement for public assistance” in solving Harris’ murder.

Silva did not report the gun missing until March 22, 2015 — 27 days after the fatal shooting.

On March 25, 2015, Silva told authorities that his unoccupied home had been burglarized for a second time the previous day. Silva said that various things, including a gun safe, were missing from the house.

According to the Stockton Record, 42-year-old Silva notified authorities regarding another gun theft, which he reported to police back in February, which happened while he was on a Sister Cities tour of the Philippines. The firearm was taken from his rental home in north Stockton. Silva told police back in April he had inclination regarding who took that gun.

The gun used in Harris’ murder was discovered by the Stockton Police Department on June 9th when officers were dispatched to investigate a domestic disturbance, according to the District Attorney’s Office. The other stolen gun has not been found.

Silva, who is running for re-election and has been implicated in multiple high-profile controversies during his term, said in a statement that he feels horrible about the teen’s death. He then added that he is unable to comment on the report that was released because he hasn’t been provided with any details.

He said, “Words cannot describe my sorrow and heartbreak for the victim and his family. I feel terrible, and I feel sick to my stomach. I only can react to what the news is claiming. Everyone, please pray for Stockton.”

Get the latest news from the world of crime