JammedUp News


FDNY chief killed after suspected drug lab explodes in the Bronx, New York

September 27, 2016  |  Posted by: JammedUp Staff
FDNY chief killed after suspected drug lab explodes in the Bronx, New York

Are you in a legal jam? Find a Lawyer, Bail Bondsman or Private Investigator on JammedUp.

Police in New York City say an explosion on Tuesday at a secret marijuana grow operation in the Bronx, New York killed an FDNY battalion chief and wounded over a dozen emergency responders — including nine other firefighters and six police officers,

During a somber press conference, New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio along with FDNY and NYPD officials confirmed the death of Fire Department Battalion Chief Michael Fahy on Tuesday.

The 17-year FDNY veteran was killed after a part of the roof blew off a private residence on 300 W. 234th St., fatally striking Fahy in the head.

Sources said firefighters responded to calls of a possible gas leak in the house near the corner of Kingsbridge Avenue around 6:20 a.m. on Tuesday.

Officials, upon entering the residence, firefighters discovered an apparent drug laboratory and contacted police and Con Edison to the Bronx location while they immediately evacuated the single resident living in the apartment building.

As the emergency responders waited for a Con Ed crew to arrive, a powerful explosion blew off part of the home landing on Fahy, the New York Daily News reported.

A source said firefighters recovered the mortally wounded Fahy after searching the rubble and rushed him to a hospital in a police car where he later died.

“(He) was brought here as quickly as possible but he was not to be saved, It’s a terrible loss for the Fahy family and a loss for the Fire Department family. We feel it deeply; we feel it deeply today,” an emotional FDNY Fire Commissioner Daniel Nigro said at the press conference.

Nigro also reported two Con Ed workers and two civilians also were also treated for non-life threatening injuries.

Neighborhood resident Maureen Murphy, 45, describe how she was shaken by the sound of the explosion.

“When I came out of my house this morning I got scared. The police, the fire department, everybody was rushing in here,” said Murphy, who works with special-needs kids.

The apartment building was under investigation in connection with the grow operation and authorities have launched an arson investigation, NYPD Police Commissioner James O’Neill revealed.

The single resident living in the apartment building had gotten out when firefighters arrived. Authorities have launched an arson investigation into the explosion.

“We just spent time with his wife and with his parents here at the hospital and saw the unspeakable pain when they were told formally that they had lost Michael,” Mayor Bill di Blasio said.

“Our hearts go out to the Fahy family — a family so devoted to the city, Michael’s father was fire chief before him. A family that gave so much and today made the ultimate sacrifice to the city,” he added.

Get the latest news from the world of crime