JammedUp News

News

Mexican military releases image of Sinaloa cartel operative rescued by gunmen during attack in Culiacan

October 7, 2016  |  Posted by: JammedUp Staff
Mexican military releases image of Sinaloa cartel operative rescued by gunmen during attack in Culiacan

Are you in a legal jam? Find a Lawyer, Bail Bondsman or Private Investigator on JammedUp.

The Mexican military has released a photo of Oscar Ortiz Julio Vega, alias “Kevin” the alleged top Sinaloa Cartel operative, who was reportedly rescued by a group of heavily armed cartel assassins during last week’s deadly attack in the Mexican state of Sinaloa.

As JammedUp News previously reported, over 50 alleged Sinaloa cartel gunmen linked with Alfredo and Ivan Archivaldo Guzman Salazar, the sons of imprisoned Mexican drug lord Joaquin El Chapo Guzman, ambushed a military convoy with heavy arms fire and grenades, killing six soldiers and wounding another ten in Culiacan.

Mexican authorities said the troops were transporting the reputed Sinaloa cartel operative to a hospital in Culiacan after he sustained injuries during an earlier confrontation in Badirgurato

According to Proceso, Rogelio Teran Contreras, the commander of the Ninth Military Zone, said the image shows a wounded Julio Vega having his wounds treated by member military personnel at a hospital in Badiraguato.

Contreas said a member of the Army unit who helped save the life of Julio Vega, died a short time later in the ambush.

“In that image, the wounded offender is seen being treated by a military element at a hospital in Badiraguato. Later, this same member of the military would lose his life at the hands of criminals who assaulted the soldiers with impunity to rescue the individual cited,” he said.

The commander added: “After saving the life of the offender Julio Oscar Vega Ortiz, his fellow members of the same criminal group attacked the military personnel.”

Meanwhile, the sons of El Chapo have come out and staunchly denied having any involvement in the deadly assault.

In a radio interview with MVS News, Guzman’s attorney, José Refugio Rodríguez, said the sons of the leader of the Sinaloa Cartel denounced the attack on the Army convoy and demanded an impartial investigation into the fatal ambush.

“They would like to see an objective investigation to clarify the facts of the event, and they lament the death of the soldiers in carrying out their duties,” Rodríguez said.

When questioned why Rodríguez immediately sought to distance the sons of El Chapo from Friday’s attack, he replied: “Nobody likes to be persecuted by the government for something they didn’t do.”

Mexican authorities wasted little time implicating Guzman’s children. Hours after the assault took place, Alfonso Duarte Mujica, the Ninth Military Zone commander, said at a news conference that evidence gathered had pointed to Ivan Archivaldo Guzman and Jesus Alfredo Guzman as the likely culprits responsible for coordinating the attack.

Get the latest news from the world of crime