JammedUp News

News

Authorities arrest top plaza boss for the Sinaloa cartel

October 31, 2016  |  Posted by: JammedUp Staff
Authorities arrest top plaza boss for the Sinaloa cartel

Are you in a legal jam? Find a Lawyer, Bail Bondsman or Private Investigator on JammedUp.

Mexican military forces have announced the capture of a top regional leader of the Sinaloa Cartel during a routine patrol on Friday.

In a statement, law enforcement officials said Naval Marines at a checkpoint in Ejido San Jose de Guanajuato, Sinaloa, arrested a top organized crime figure identified as ‘El Rey’ David Santiago Vargas or ‘King’ David.

Originally from Poza Rica, Veracruz, ‘El Rey’ David Santiago Vargas is the former plaza head in Mazatlan, who authorities say has assumed command of drug trafficking operations in La Paz, Baja California under the direct orders of Damaso Lopez Nunez known as the “The Bachelor,” a top boss within the Sinaloa Federation.

The Navy reported the capture of  after Marines patrolling a checkpoint on the Mazatlan-Culiacan highway, which has been the scene of recent violence, observed a gray vehicle.

The driver of the vehicle immediately tried to flee igniting a high-speed pursuit on the 15D highway, Proceso reported.

Marines managed to bring the car to a stop and arrest the individual, who officials later identified as a top cartel operator.

Inside the vehicle, soldiers discovered a 9 mm pistol various forms of falsified IDs, the statement said.

Mexican Marines captured 'King' David Santiago Vargas, a senior lieutenant for Damaso Lopez Nunes, 'The Bachelor,' one of the top bosses of the Sinaloa Federation cartel

Mexican Marines captured ‘King’ David Santiago Vargas, a senior lieutenant for Damaso Lopez Nunes, ‘The Bachelor,’ one of the top bosses of the Sinaloa Federation cartel

The Mexican government has stepped up operations in the region in the wake of last month’s deadly ambush in Sinaloa on a military convoy.

As JammedUp News previously reported, over 50 heavily armed men allegedly tied to the Sinaloa cartel launched a coordinated attack on a military convoy killing five soldiers, and severely injuring another ten in the Sinaloa state capital of Culiacan on Sept. 30th.

According to top military officials, the Army patrol was escorting Oscar Ortiz Julio Vega, alias “Kevin” a senior cartel lieutenant to a hospital in Culiacan when the convoy came under heavy attack in what was determined to be a rescue mission.

Julia Vegas suffered injuries during an earlier confrontation with Mexican armed forces in the mountains of Badirgurato, where fierce fighting has erupted between the Sinaloa and Beltran-Leyva cartels.

The Mexican government initially accused Ivan Archivaldo and Jesus Alfredo Salazar, the children of Joaquin ‘El Chapo’ Guzman, the jailed leader of the Sinaloa cartel for the military-style assault.

In response to the allegations,  the sons of the infamous Mexican drug lord issued a public letter staunchly denying having any involvement in the attack on the military convoy.

Mexican Law enforcement officials have since backtracked and have now shifted their focus of the investigation to Aureliano Guzman Salzar alias ‘El Guano’ the brother of ‘El Chapo’ as the prime suspect.

Get the latest news from the world of crime