JammedUp News


Utah woman killed by ex day after taking out restraining order

December 7, 2016  |  Posted by: Francesca Falzarano
Utah woman killed by ex day after taking out restraining order

Are you in a legal jam? Find a Lawyer, Bail Bondsman or Private Investigator on JammedUp.

A Utah woman has been murdered by her ex-boyfriend, who slammed into her car and sprayed it with bullets, one day after he was served with a restraining order.

He was then killed during a shoot-out with authorities.

Law enforcement officials identified the victim, in what initially was described as a “road rage” incident, as 39-year-old SueAnn Newell Sands of Utah.

A panicked Sands called 911 after 33-year-old James Dean Smith, her ex-boyfriend, opened fire on her vehicle in a busy shopping district called The Meadows on November 22nd, the Deseret News reported.

The pursuit concluded when Smith rammed his Chevy Tahoe into the woman’s Volkswagen Bug in a Wal-Mart parking lot and fired additional shots at the vehicle.

When Utah police officers arrived on the scene, they discovered Sands, fatally shot with a gunshot wound to the head and her car full of bullets.

Officers then recognized the suspect in his Tahoe and confronted the man and yelled for him to drop his gun, but he refused. Three officers opened fire on the suspect.

It is not currently clear if Smith died from police shots or a self-inflicted gunshot. Authorities would not disclose if he was still in his vehicle at the time he was killed.

Sergeant Cannon told Fox13: “The suspect stopped his vehicle, an American Fork officer, and a deputy with the Sheriff’s Office both fired rounds at the suspect. We don’t know if those rounds hit the suspect or not. It’s possible also that he may have suffered a self-inflicted wound.”

Witnesses performed CPR on the man for approximately 20 minutes, but when EMS arrived, he was pronounced dead.

No one else was injured in the violence in American Fork, which is located about 25 miles outside of Salt Lake City.

Police said that the former couple had lived together for one year, but she moved about four months ago, KSL reported. She filed for a restraining order on November 9th, and he was served on the 21st, just one day before she was gunned down.

According to her Facebook profile, she had given birth to a baby girl named Avery back in January.

“So heartbreaking. She did not deserve this; she was a sweet kind caring person,” Sands’ sister-in-law wrote.

Authorities also arrested Smith on November 21st for DUI. The day Sands’ was murdered. One of the victim’s relatives revealed that her car window had been smashed in, an act that police believe was Smith’s doing.

Get the latest news from the world of crime