JammedUp News


Australia’s largest cocaine kingpin documented life on Instagram before $260 million bust

December 31, 2016  |  Posted by: Francesca Falzarano
Australia’s largest cocaine kingpin documented life on Instagram before $260 million bust

Are you in a legal jam? Find a Lawyer, Bail Bondsman or Private Investigator on JammedUp.

A bikini model girlfriend, sports cars, and countless helicopter rides were all part of the luxurious life documented on Instagram of Australia’s largest cocaine kingpin.

Tattooed muscleman Darren Mohr’s glamorous lifestyle, which he captured on social media, shows him tanning in exotic locations, flying around in a helicopter, at a yacht club during the Monaco Grand Prix, and posing with his girlfriend and luxury cars.

However, Mohr’s high life came crashing down on Tuesday when the 42-year-old was arrested in the eastern suburbs of Syndey.

Mohr, who once owned a cafe which was featured on a reality show, is one of 15 suspects in custody after authorities seized 1,100 pounds of cocaine on a boat in Sydney’s Parsley Bay.

Tattooed muscle man Darren Mohr’s lifestyle displayed on Instagram before his arrest for cocaine importation showed him jetting around the world.

Eastern suburbs businessman Darren Mohr, pictured with his pet dog and macaw, is now in custody with 14 other men for an alleged $360 million cocaine plot: Instagram

Darren Mohr posted photos of himself flying in helicopters, attended the Monaco Grand Prix and taking a trip to Russia

If found guilty, all of the suspects face life behind bars for the conspiracy to import $260 million of cocaine into Australia from South America.

The massive drug bust came about after investigators were tipped off by a citizen who reported in 2014 that he had seen a man acting suspiciously, News.com.au reported.

For the next 30 months, undercover officers surveilled the men at over one hundred meetings in Sydney parks and cafes.

Mohr, above on a yacht, was arrested over alleged involvement in the major Christmas cocaine bust. Picture: Instagram

Darren Mohr, above with his girlfriend, who had no involvement in the massive cocaine plot he was allegedly a part of for more than two years. Picture: Instagram

The Daily Telegraph reported that over a dozen police officers would watch key players using encrypted BlackBerries and speaking in code as they plotted the scheme.

The street price of cocaine in Australia runs an astounding $200,000 per kilo and $450 per gram due to the cost of overseas trafficking costs.

Authorities allege that the drug cartel was importing the cocaine in from Chile via Tahiti and was using fishing trawlers at the Sydney Fish Market.

The men were taken into custody on Christmas Day and the three days after in Tasmania, Sydney, and Queensland.

Mohr was arrested at Rose Bay as part of the police operation which smashed an alleged $360 million cocaine cartel: Australian Police

The cocaine was seized after a 30-month undercover operation: Australian Police

The cocaine bust was one of the largest ever recorded in Australian history

Investigators allege that just before the arrests, members of the drug trafficking network reviewed map locations, recruits, drug finances, and the movement of fishing vessels to bring in the drugs.

The cocaine kingpin was arrested along with commercial fisherman Joe Pirello, a 1980s professional rugby league player John Tobin, Double Bay businessman Richard Lipton, fisherman Stuart Ayrton, and Graham Toa Toa, a New Zealand citizen.

The 15 suspects are in their 40s, 50s, and 60s and also include members of an influential fishing family.

The joint operation to reveal the drug plot included the Australian Federal Police, officers from the New South Wales Police, and the Australian Border Force.

Authorities believe that the group intended to send out the Sydney-based fishing trawlers to meet a larger ship transporting the drugs from Chile.

NSW Police investigation coordinator Detective Chief Inspector Jason Smith referred to the long police operation as extraordinary.

“From my perspective, the success of this operation has been the tenacity of the entire team and all the ­officers involved. They have been extraordinary,” Smith said in an interview with the Telegraph.

The accused men are scheduled to appear in a Sydney court sometime in March.

Get the latest news from the world of crime