JammedUp News

News

Captured gunmen lead police to Zetas cartel leader and mass grave in Nuevo León

January 23, 2017  |  Posted by: JammedUp Staff
Captured gunmen lead police to Zetas cartel leader and mass grave in Nuevo León

Are you in a legal jam? Find a Lawyer, Bail Bondsman or Private Investigator on JammedUp.

One of the most dangerous leaders of the ruthless Zetas cartel responsible for facilitating much of the violence in northern Mexico was arrested in a raid by military police forces over the weekend, officials said.

Mexican Marines captured Juan Pablo Perez Garcia also known as “El Oaxaco” and “Bravo-1,” during an operation on Saturday in Los Ramones, Nuevo León.

Authorities said Perez Garcia is the presumed top leader of the Zetas faction known as the Old School Zetas in Nuevo Leon and Tamaulipas.

The Old School Zetas have engaged in a turf war with their rival Cartel del Noreste, which has lead to unspeakable acts of violence committed in the states of Tamaulipas, Nuevo León, and Coahuila.

The faction consists of several founding members of the original Los Zetas, who were recruited from the ranks of the Mexican Army special forces to work as paramilitary enforcement enforcers for the Gulf Cartel.

Perez Garcia served as a corporal in the Mexican Army before leaving and joining the Zetas.

According to Breitbart Texas, ‘El Oaxaco’ was also a Tamaulipas State Police officer while he was a member of the criminal organization.

Numerous banners left at the scene of gory executions and decapitations have been signed by “Bravo-1.”

The senior cartel figure was handed over to the Mexican Attorney General’s Office in Mexico City where he faces numerous charges including organized crime, drug trafficking, and weapons charges.

Authorities said his arrest stemmed from an earlier gun battle which Marines killed three suspected Zetas gunmen and captured two others, who helped lead authorities to the location of their boss.

Additionally, the captured suspects also led state police to the site of a clandestine mass grave located near Monterrey used by the Zetas cartel to dispose of the bodies of victims most of whom disappeared back in 2010.

Officials have so far exhumed 32 bodies but only have managed to identify 24 of the remains, among them was Antonio Alcántar, an armed escort for the San Pedro Security Secretary, who was reported missing since August 2010.

Forensics experts are continuing to efforts to identify the remaining victims through DNA and dental records.

Get the latest news from the world of crime