JammedUp News

News

Judge again postpones Suge Knight murder trial as son blasts father’s treatment

February 23, 2017  |  Posted by: Francesca Falzarano
Judge again postpones Suge Knight murder trial as son blasts father’s treatment

Are you in a legal jam? Find a Lawyer, Bail Bondsman or Private Investigator on JammedUp.

A judge has once again postponed the upcoming murder trial of rap impresario Suge Knight on Wednesday as his college student son blasted his father’s extreme” jail constraints.

The founder of Death Row Records, who earlier agreed to push his February trial to May, bumped it again to the beginning of summer.

His attorney indicated that the defense still needs to receive and review a “terabyte” of evidence from prosecutors, which include recorded calls from jail.

As he spoke in court with his parents, sister, and son watching, Knight criticized the harsh prison restrictions that have him remaining in isolation.

His phone access is restricted to attorney calls only, he stated. Meanwhile, his older parents had to struggle to get on his visitation list, and his children and fiancée Toi-Lin Kelly remain excluded.

“It’s extreme,” Knight’s second oldest son Suge Jacob Knight told the New York Daily News. “They’re treating him like a mass murderer.”

The 21-year-old said that he traveled from Fisk University in Nashville to go to the court hearing just to see his dad in person.

Marion “Suge” Knight is accused of running over and killing 55-year-old Terry Carter. (FREDERICK M. BROWN/GETTY IMAGES)

The last time he saw his father was two years ago, he stated, when Knight dropped him off to go to school a week before the fatal parking lot dispute that landed Knight behind bars.

“He almost died three times in jail,” his son stated, referring to his dad’s blood clots and an emergency surgery on his appendix. “I’m worried.”

The younger Knight said he denied entry when he went to the jail last year – and alleged that the protective order is hurting his dad’s ability to defend himself.

“Going in and hearing my dad ask to be treated like a regular inmate, it hurt me. Why does he have to ask for that?” he stated. “I feel like it’s taking time away from his case.”

Knight stands accused of purposely running over two victims in a parking lot of a Compton burger stand back in 2015, which killed a local businessman, 55-year-old Terry Carter.

Suge Knight’s son claimed authorities are treating his father like a “mass murderer.”

Knight has pleaded not guilty in the case, alleging that he was the victim of an armed attack. He turned himself in and has been behind bars ever since, unable to pay his $10 million bail package.

The justification for the protective order limiting his prison privileges remains unclear.

Prosecutors contend that the founder of Death Row Records was angry about a dispute with Cle (Bone) Sloan when he deliberately hit the gas on his pickup and mowed down Sloan along with Carter.

Sloan was working as security staff on the Dr. Dre-produced biopic “Straight Outta Compton.”

Suge Knight later sued in court, alleging that Dre wanted him dead to evade paying him under a reported lifetime management deal.

“Given that Dre has had zero interaction with Suge since leaving Death Row Records, we hope that Suge’s attorney has lots of malicious prosecution insurance,” a lawyer for Dre revealed in a statement reacting to the lawsuit.

Get the latest news from the world of crime