JammedUp News


North Carolina teen called 911 to home then walked out with mother’s severed head

March 8, 2017  |  Posted by: Francesca Falzarano
North Carolina teen called 911 to home then walked out with mother’s severed head

Are you in a legal jam? Find a Lawyer, Bail Bondsman or Private Investigator on JammedUp.

Police arrive at North Carolina residence to find teen holding mother’s severed head

An 18-year-old  North Carolina teen has been charged with the horrific killing of his mother after he was discovered walking down a street with her severed head in one hand and a bloody knife in the other.

On Monday, Oliver Funes called 911 at around 12.45pm to tell police that he had just murdered his mother at their residence in Franklin County, North Carolina.

A deputy responding to the incident found the teen walking out of the house holding his mother’s severed head in one hand and what seemed to be a butcher’s knife in the other, WBTW reported.

Inside the residence, deputies discovered the body of 35-year-old Yesenia Funez Beatriz Machado.

Oliver Funes, 18, allegedly beheaded his own mother before walking out of their home carrying her head

Franklin County Sheriff Kent Winstead said the 18-year-old had been charged with first-degree murder.

He made his first court appearance and was ordered to be held without bond.

Winstead said Funes’ two younger sisters were at home but were not harmed in the incident, and a fourth child was at school. Authorities have not elaborated on what led up to the slaying.

The suspect’s father and the victim’s husband came home at 5 pm to find the scene and had to be held down by officers because he was overcome with grief.

18-year-old Funes appeared in court and was ordered to appear again on March 14. He is charged with 1st-degree murder for the decapitation of his mother

Other older family members were pictured being comforted at the crime scene.

Ryan Reader, the family’s neighbor, told WBTW: “Complete and utter shock. This area is a quiet area, and I didn’t know what to expect when I got home and saw police and everything around.”

Winstead continued: “It’s a terrible situation for the family, for the neighborhood and this county. I’m glad things worked out the way they did, and no one else was hurt in taking the suspect into custody.”

Get the latest news from the world of crime