JammedUp News


Suicide text girl Michelle Carter found guilty in boyfriend’s death

June 16, 2017  |  Posted by: JammedUp Staff
Suicide text girl Michelle Carter found guilty in boyfriend’s death

Are you in a legal jam? Find a Lawyer, Bail Bondsman or Private Investigator on JammedUp.

A Massachusetts Juvenile Court judge has found Michelle Carter, who is accused of urging her boyfriend to commit suicide through a series of text messages, guilty of involuntary manslaughter on Friday.

Carter was convicted of causing the 2014 death of 18-year-old Conrad Roy III by Juvenile Judge Lawrence Moniz, ABC News reported.

Roy intentionally filled his pickup truck with carbon monoxide in a parking lot in Fairhaven, Massauchussets in July 2014.

Michelle Carter cried as the judge detailed her conduct surrounding Roy’s suicide but stood with no emotion as the guilty verdict was read.

Michelle Carter cries in court as the judge details the circumstances surrounding her boyfriend’s suicide

As a result, she could face up to 20 years in prison.

Moniz said Carter encouraged the troubled teen to get back in the vehicle, despite being well-aware of the toxic environment building in Roy’s pickup.

“She is mindful that the process in the truck will take approximately 15 minutes,” Moniz said Friday in Taunton Juvenile Court.

The judge added that Carter encouraged the teen to take his life despite “all of the feelings” Roy had previously shared including a past attempt to drown himself.

“Instructing Mr. Roy to get back in the truck constituted wanton and reckless conduct, creating a situation where there’s a high degree of likelihood that substantial harm would result,” Moniz stated.

Michelle Carter who was accused of urging her then-boyfriend to commit suicide three years ago has been found guilty of involuntary manslaughter by a Massachusetts judge.

Moniz said the then 17-year-old Carter communicated with the troubled teen through a series of text messages and phone calls during the suicide bid but never acted to help Roy by either notified his family or contacted the authorities despite knowing of his plan and location.

Texts between the two teens presented in court by prosecutors revealed Carter had urged Roy to “get back in” even as the pickup filled with poisonous carbon monoxide gas.

“You can’t think about it; you just have to do it. You said you were gonna do it. Like I don’t get why you aren’t,” Carter allegedly texted Roy on the day of his death.

“She did not issue a simple additional instruction: Get out of the truck,” Moniz said.

The judge also barred Carter from having any contact with Roy’s relatives and barred her from applying for a passport.

Carter sent a text two months after Roy’s suicide to a high school friend admitting she was to blame.

“It’s my fault, I could have stopped him, but I told him to get back in the car,” Carter texted to classmate Samantha Boardman.

Michelle Carter also expressed concern to Boardman over what police detectives would find on Roy’s phone.

“I’m done, and his family will hate me, I can go to jail,” Carter wrote in one message.

Sentencing for Carter has been scheduled for August 3rd.

Get the latest news from the world of crime