JammedUp News


Video captures shocking moment driver hails taxi cab to flee car crash, leaving date to burn to death

October 16, 2017  |  Posted by: Francesca Falzarano
Video captures shocking moment driver hails taxi cab to flee car crash, leaving date to burn to death

Are you in a legal jam? Find a Lawyer, Bail Bondsman or Private Investigator on JammedUp.

Harrowing footage shows the moment a man in New York hailed a taxi to flee the scene of a fiery freeway car crash while his trapped friend burned to death.

The video shows 23-year-old Saeed Ahmed asking a cab driver in the middle of a highway if he can get a ride just seconds after he crashed his vehicle in Brooklyn on Friday night.

The footage, which was filmed by a witness and obtained by ABC7, shows his vehicle submerged in flames in the background.

The passenger, 25-year-old Harleen Grewel, was pronounced dead at the scene after her burned body was discovered in the passenger seat by firefighters.

Saeed Ahmad faces charges including criminally negligent homicide and leaving the scene of an accident

Ahmad was allegedly weaving in and out of traffic on the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway before his Infiniti G35 crashed into a barrier.

He got out of the burning car before he flagged down a taxi to drive him to the hospital, leaving Grewel trapped in the vehicle.

Saeed was later taken into custody at a hospital where he was being treated for burns to his arms and legs.

Ahmad’s father has since said he doesn’t know what his son was thinking leaving the scene.

“I don’t know what happened, I need to see him, find out what happened,’ Mohammad Azam said to the New York Daily News.

He noted that he never knows what happens in Ahmad’s life and he is often out late with his friends.

Harleen Grewel died in the car crash in Brooklyn on Friday morning

Alternatively, his brother Waheed Ahmad, 21, told the New York Post that he never left the crash scene and sustained injuries while attempting to rescue his friend.

“He did not run away from the scene. He lost his phone [and was] unable to call the ambulance,” he stated.

“He tried to get her out. That’s how his hands, legs, and neck got burned. He couldn’t get her. The fire got too crazy. It burned so quickly. Everything is chaos. We are shocked. It’s horrifying for the girl and her family.”

The brother added: “He’s emotionally distraught. Every time they ask him about what happened, he’s crying and screaming. His friend burned alive.”

Saeed confessed to authorities that he had been drinking alcohol before the accident, but a subsequent blood test revealed he was not over the legal limit.

He has been charged with criminally negligent homicide, fleeing the scene of an accident, aggravated unlicensed operation of a vehicle, along with speeding.

Get the latest news from the world of crime