JammedUp News


Shocking video shows Cleveland neighborhood descending into gang warfare

December 27, 2017  |  Posted by: Francesca Falzarano
Shocking video shows Cleveland neighborhood descending into gang warfare

Are you in a legal jam? Find a Lawyer, Bail Bondsman or Private Investigator on JammedUp.

Ohio Police released shocking footage which captured the moment a Cleveland neighborhood descended into gang warfare.

Three people including a 7-year-old girl were injured in a daytime shootout at a Sunoco gas station in Cleveland that was recorded on surveillance footage last Tuesday.

The video was released to the public on Sunday.

Authorities arrested four men in connection with the incident, including two men who were wounded in the shootout.

A total of over 50 rounds were fired during the gunbattle, Cleveland.com reported.

Officers said the shooting began as an attempted armed robbery.

In the footage, the driver of an SUV parked at the pump is seen walking back to his vehicle after he bought items at the convenience store.

The driver is then confronted by an armed 30-year-old suspect who holds him at gunpoint.

The armed man then took the driver and used him as a human shield.

Meanwhile, two other suspects, ages 18 and 27, are seen bolting towards the SUV.

The 27-year-old was armed with an AK-47 rifle.

He is seen opening the passenger door of the SUV and shooting at a 25-year-old man inside.

The passenger was hit in the back and mouth, suffering severe wounds, though he did return shots, striking the 27-year-old gunman in the stomach.

The passenger is then seen getting out of the vehicle and picking up the AK-47. He then opened fire while fleeing from the gas station.

He ditched the AK-47 behind the gas station and kept running.

A trail of blood was left on the ground as he ran to another gas station one block away.

Detectives said that the injured passenger collapsed at the gas station with his gun tucked into the back of his waistband.

A wounded passenger of a black SUV is seen getting up and grabbing an AK-47 assault rifle that was used by another gunman to shoot him

He was transported to a local hospital in serious condition.

Meanwhile, at the gas station where the shootout took place, the 30-year-old man pushed the driver of the SUV to the ground.

The 30-year-old and the 18-year-old gunmen fired dozens of rounds as the driver who was pinned to the ground crawled through the parking lot.

The driver managed to flee unharmed. Authorities are still searching for him and two other suspects.

The 18-year-old gunman is seen in the footage approaching the black SUV, which was left behind and searching the vehicle for something of value to steal.

After the shooting came to an end, the 18-year-old l the scene on foot. The 30-year-old and the 27-year-old drove off together toward a hospital.

The driver eventually returned to recover his car and left.

The girl who was wounded had a bullet graze one of her fingers. She is seen in the footage getting out of her father’s car parked just a few feet from the convenience store.

“It was a miracle that she wasn’t killed,” Cleveland Councilman Mike Polensek said. “I told her that her guardian angel must have been watching over her.”

The 18-year-old who was arrested in the shooting is believed to be a member of a local gang.

Authorities believe the three men met before the robbery at a nearby residence.

Police arrested four men in connection with the shooting, including two men who were shot. A total of more than 50 rounds were fired during the incident

According to arrest documents, the 18-year-old man and the 30-year-old man walked to the gas station, while the third suspect drove and parked behind the station.

Minutes after the shooting, an unknown man who was not involved in the incident is seen driving into the station parking lot and walking away with the assault rifle abandoned at the scene.

Meanwhile, authorities believe that the 18-year-old and the 30-year-old were trying to meet up at the same home where they met before the incident.

Police officers entered the home and took the 18-year-old, who was standing outside, into custody.

Thinking that the 30-year-old was inside, authorities called in a SWAT tactical unit and surrounded the residence until 4:30 am on Wednesday.

After searching the premises, police were unable to find the 30-year-old, though detectives said they found two firearms.

“I’ve never seen anything like this, and I’ve been doing this a long time,” Polensek said of the crime. “These hoodlums know the police aren’t there patrolling as much as they used to be.”

Get the latest news from the world of crime