JammedUp News

News

California authorities takedown burglary ring seizing stolen electronics including over 2,000 laptops

February 1, 2018  |  Posted by: JammedUp Staff
California authorities takedown burglary ring seizing stolen electronics including over 2,000 laptops Freemont Police handout/AP

Are you in a legal jam? Find a Lawyer, Bail Bondsman or Private Investigator on JammedUp.

Authorities in Northern California police recovered over $2 million in stolen electronics and arrested nine people as part of a takedown of a massive auto burglary ring.

The arrests were announced by Fremont Police on Wednesday.

A joint operation dubbed “Operation Million Dollar Baby” involving several law enforcement agencies in Northern California was launched after wave of burglaries.

Officials said evidence gathered during the investigation led authorities to an Oakland street gang operating on the east side of the San Francisco Bay, and to a suspect police said was purchasing the stolen contraband.

As a result, authorities raided a rental unit and conducted a controlled traffic stop of a tractor-trailer near Oakland last month, seizing over 2,000 stolen laptops, KRON4 reported.

Investigators suspect the rig was destined for the Port of Oakland where the stolen contraband would be shipped overseas to Vietnam.

Fremont police Lt. Mike Tegner said investigators also identified 28-year-old Carlos Humberto Paz, of Oakland, as the central figure in the burglary ring.

“We spotted several people loading stolen electronics into the back of the storage container and got a warrant and searched the storage container and found out it was headed for Vietnam,” Tegner said. “We then intercepted two suspects who had more than 18 bags of luggage, who were trying to board an airliner that was bound for Vietnam.”

Get the latest news from the world of crime