JammedUp News

News

Convicted mass killer responsible for 1984 Palm Sunday Massacre quietly released from prison

April 1, 2018  |  Posted by: Michael Falzarano
Convicted mass killer responsible for 1984 Palm Sunday Massacre quietly released from prison

Are you in a legal jam? Find a Lawyer, Bail Bondsman or Private Investigator on JammedUp.

The man who was responsible for one of New York City’s most infamous mass murders known as the Palm Sunday Massacre was quietly released from prison, state officials revealed last week.

Christopher Thomas was released from Shawangunk Correctional Facility in upstate New York in January.

He is believed to be residing in the borough of Queens.

Thomas was responsible for the 1984 Palm Sunday Massacre in which eight children and two women were gunned down in a Brooklyn home.

A 13-month-old girl was the sole survivor of the mass killing.

The now 68-year-old Thomas was found guilty of manslaughter in 1985.

During the trial, the jury cited Thomas’ heavy use of cocaine as a contributing factor for committing the horrific crimes when they convicted him of manslaughter, instead of murder.

As a result, a judge sentenced Thomas to 50 years in prison, which is the maximum penalty allowed under New York State law.

New York State Prison officials said Thomas became eligible for release after fulfilling criteria, which included serving two-thirds of his sentence coupled with time off for good behavior.

“He doesn’t deserve to be on the street . . . He killed poor, innocent children,” retired NYPD Lt. Herbert Hohmann, who oversaw the investigation and testified against Thomas, told The New York Post on Friday.

Get the latest news from the world of crime