JammedUp News

News

Bail set at $50K for UFC star Conor McGregor

April 6, 2018  |  Posted by: Michael Falzarano
Bail set at $50K for UFC star Conor McGregor

Are you in a legal jam? Find a Lawyer, Bail Bondsman or Private Investigator on JammedUp.

UFC star Conor McGregor surrenders to authorities.

Conor McGregor glared in front of the cameras as he was led MMA champion, Conor McGregor, as he walked out of a Police precinct in Brooklyn, New York after being charged with assault in connection with the wild melee at the Barclays Center on Thursday.

A handcuffed McGregor wearing a blue sweater, jeans, and white sneakers said nothing but appeared concerned as he was escorted from the 78th Precinct to a waiting patrol vehicle Friday morning in Prospect Heights.

Sources confirmed to MMA reporter Ariel Helwani that McGregor’s bail was set at $50,000. However, his passport will not be seized and he will be allowed to fly back to his native Ireland.

The 29-year-old UFC mega-star surrendered to authorities in New York City, following a chaotic melee Thursday at Brooklyn’s Barclays Center, NYPD officials say.

An attorney accompanied Connor McGregor as he turned himself in late Thursday at the 78th Precinct after he stormed a press conference for UFC 223.

Law enforcement sources told the New York Post that 29-year-old Irishman was charged with three misdemeanor counts of assault and one count of criminal mischief.

McGregor and his large entourage heaved barricades and other objects at a bus filled with UFC fighters following a press conference at the Barclays Center for Saturday night’s bout between Khabib Nurmagomedov and Max Holloway for the UFC lightweight championship previously held by the Irish brawler.

Sources said Conor McGregor became enraged after video surfaced of Nurmagomedov confronting and slapping his stablemate Artem Lobov, who was also set to fight Saturday.

UFC President Dana White has since pulled Lobov from the event.

According to reports, Mcgregor was also upset after UFC officials decided to strip him of his lightweight championship.

Conor McGregor’s last competitive fight was in a boxing ring back in August 2017 when he lost to Floyd Mayweather Jr. He hasn’t stepped in the Octagon since 2016.

NYPD officials said 23-year-old Cian Cowley, who was part of McGregor’s entourage also surrendered at the 78th Pct. station house and charged with assault for his role in the melee.

Footage of the chaos appears to show McGregor hurling a hand truck toward the bus and breaking a window.

Fellow fighter Michael Chiesa, who was scheduled to fight Anthony Pettis Saturday night suffered a facial injury in the frenzied attack.

The bout has since been canceled, Chiesa’s coach Rick Little told MMAJunkie.

“Conor went bananas and put a beating on the van that we were in looking for Khabib,” Little said. “A million security guards had to restrain him. Mike’s cut up now. He’s got marks on him, for sure. I don’t think too serious. Everything happened so fast, it was just like we got jumped.”

Nurmagomedov later mocked McGregor’s actions during an interview.

“I am laughing inside, you broke window? Why? Come inside. You know UFC don’t let you come inside. If you real gangster why don’t you come inside?” Nurmagomedov told MMA Fighting.

Dana White expressed his outrage at McGregor’s actions in a statement and said has no desire to conduct business with the MMA fighter at this moment.

“Obviously, everybody’s shaken up, this is the most disgusting thing that has ever happened in the history of the company,” White said.

Get the latest news from the world of crime