JammedUp News


FBI failed to investigate tip on Florida school shooter Nikolas Cruz

February 17, 2018  |  Posted by: JammedUp Staff
FBI failed to investigate tip on Florida school shooter Nikolas Cruz

Are you in a legal jam? Find a Lawyer, Bail Bondsman or Private Investigator on JammedUp.

PARKLAND, Fla. (AP) — The FBI received a tip last month that the suspect in the Florida school shooting, Nikolas Cruz had a “desire to kill” and access to guns and could be plotting an attack, but agents failed to investigate, the agency said Friday. Florida Gov. Rick Scott called for the FBI’s director to resign because of the missteps.

Attorney General Jeff Sessions said the shooting that killed 17 people Wednesday was a “tragic consequence” of the FBI’s failure and ordered a review of the Justice Department’s processes. He said it’s now clear that the nation’s premier law enforcement agency missed warning signs.

In more evidence that there had been signs of trouble with the suspect, Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel said at a Friday news conference that his office had received more than 20 calls about Nikolas Cruz in the past few years.

A person close to Cruz called the FBI’s tip line on Jan. 5 and provided information about Cruz’s weapons and his erratic behavior, including his disturbing social media posts. The caller was concerned that Cruz could attack a school.

In a statement, the agency acknowledged that the tip should have been shared with the FBI’s Miami office and investigated, but it was not. The startling admission came as the agency was already facing criticism for its treatment of a tip about a YouTube comment posted last year. The comment posted by a “Nikolas Cruz” said, “Im going to be a professional school shooter.”

Continue reading.

Get the latest news from the world of crime