JammedUp News

News

Authorities race to investigate threat of school shootings in the wake of Florida massacre

February 22, 2018  |  Posted by: Francesca Falzarano
Authorities race to investigate threat of school shootings in the wake of Florida massacre LOS ANGELES COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFF)

Are you in a legal jam? Find a Lawyer, Bail Bondsman or Private Investigator on JammedUp.

Police departments around the United States are racing to look into threats of school shootings in the aftermath of the Florida school massacre that took place last week.

Nicholas Burtis was taken into custody in Colchester, Connecticut, and was charged with breach of peace after he posted a threatening message on Instagram implying that the local Bacon Academy would be targeted in an attack, NBC reported.

Burtis reportedly admitted to writing the comment and said it was a joke, and authorities said the 18-year-old did not have a firearm in his possession.

Meanwhile, authorities in Mississippi have been racing to investigate 13 other threats since shooter Nikolas Cruz murdered 17 people at Florida’s Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School last Wednesday, according to the New York Daily News.

Nicholas Burtis, 19, was arrested after threatening an attack at the Bacon Academy, a public high school in Colchester, Connecticut.

Since then, a continued surge of threats — many of which have originated on social media sites — have cropped up across the country, evoking fears of a copycat incident.

Murrah, McLaurin, Pearl, and Pearl River high schools in Mississippi were all threatened on Wednesday.

An unidentified student from Pearl High School admitted to lying about hearing another student discussing a shooting, according to WLOX. He was subsequently arrested.

Elsewhere in Mississippi, students at Gautier Middle School and Pascagoula High School were put on lockdown on Monday after the school received bogus threats.

In California, deputies reviewed a threat to Quartz Hill High School that was posted on YouTube and Twitter.

The student who allegedly made the threats had been taken to the hospital due to an unrelated incident. An investigation is pending.

Another teen in Lawrence County, Ohio, was taken into custody at roughly 2 a.m. on Thursday for posting threats about her high school on Facebook.

Get the latest news from the world of crime