JammedUp News

News

MMA star Conor McGregor seeks plea deal in Barclays melee case

June 19, 2018  |  Posted by: Francesca Falzarano
MMA star Conor McGregor seeks plea deal in Barclays melee case

Are you in a legal jam? Find a Lawyer, Bail Bondsman or Private Investigator on JammedUp.

MMA star Conor McGregor seeks plea deal in Barclays melee case

UFC star Conor McGregor is asking for a plea deal in connection with his rampage at Barclays Center that resulted in the cancellation of several matches on one of UFC’s biggest annual cards.

Conor McGregor, along with fellow MMA fighter, 25-year-old Cian Cowley, appeared before a judge in Brooklyn Criminal Court late last week. Plea discussions are pending. Both men have been charged with assault and criminal mischief, NBC News reported.

McGregor released a statement after the hearing, stating that he regrets the behavior that resulted in the case and understands the severity of the matter.

He and Cowley last appeared in court in April after going on a caught-on-camera assault after a UFC 223 news conference. McGregor was seen throwing a hand truck at another fighter’s bus.

The judge required them to stay away from the men they assaulted in Brooklyn, including fighters Michael Chiesa and Ray Borg.

McGregor was given a $50,000 bail package that would allow the Irish fighter to recover his passport, as long as he checks in with his bail bondsman on a weekly basis. His lawyer persuaded the judge he is not a risk, stating, “He’s the most visible face on the planet and he has no record… the package is appropriate.”

Cowley was given a $25,000 bail ensemble. The two said nothing as they walked out of the court to a crowd of journalists, fans and spectators outside.

The two are scheduled to appear back in court in July.

UFC issued a slickly produced video showing the rampage from several angles, including inside the bus.

McGregor’s most recent Instagram post him on a tarmac with Cowley with a private plane in the background.

Throngs of news cameras were present for the first footage of McGregor as he was brought from a Brooklyn police precinct that April morning after he was arrested.

The handcuffed MMA fighter remained quiet but held his chin up as authorities escorted him to a vehicle.

His arrest occurred after multiple social media users captured footage of him acting recklessly in a non-public area of the arena.

McGregor continued throwing other items around and ultimately threw something that hit the window of the bus, cracking it and breaking the glass. Chiesa sustained minor injuries.

UFC President Dana White — who previously revealed that McGregor was being stripped of his UFC championship — told MMAjunkie in an interview that McGregor and a group of roughly 20 men “stormed” the building after they gained access from media-credentialed individuals at Barclays and got to the loading dock, where fighters were getting on buses after a press conference for that weekend’s pay-per-view event.

In a statement, UFC referred to the disruption as “completely unacceptable.”

UFC said Chiesa was taken out of his scheduled match that weekend after he sustained “several facial cuts.”

The UFC also indicated Flyweight Ray Borg was also injured and was not able to fight.

McGregor hasn’t fought for UFC since 2016 and was stripped of the 155-pound championship he had never defended.

The brash fighter profanely replied on Twitter and said, “You’ll strip me of nothing.”

The events in April undoubtedly seemed to infuriate White, claiming it was a “real bad career move” for McGregor.

McGregor last fought in a match he lost to Floyd Mayweather Jr. last year.

Get the latest news from the world of crime