JammedUp News


NYC Teen pleads guilty to fatally beating homeless man, gets just 9 months in jail

September 12, 2018  |  Posted by: Francesca Falzarano
NYC Teen pleads guilty to fatally beating homeless man, gets just 9 months in jail

Are you in a legal jam? Find a Lawyer, Bail Bondsman or Private Investigator on JammedUp.

Branlee Gonzalez sentenced to nine months in prison for fatal beating of homeless man

A New York City teen who beat a homeless man to death entered a guilty plea last week as part of a sweetheart deal that will place him behind bars for only nine months.

Branlee Gonzalez grinned his way through the hearing in Manhattan Supreme Court then turned to his family with a big smile and gave them a thumbs up and wink before he was escorted out.

Gonzalez had to admit to manslaughter and attempted assault but will maintain a sealed record as a juvenile offender for the killing of 69-year-old Lucio Bravo back in May 2017, The New York Post reported.

Justice Guy Mitchell became the center of a controversy after he initially told the 19-year-old that he likely wouldn’t have to serve time but changed his mind and ruled that he should serve one and a third to four years instead.

Gonzalez will serve roughly nine months for relentlessly beating Bravo and 39-year-old Juan Calderon on Sherman Avenue near Dyckman Street. Calderon sustained minor injuries.

Prosecutor Sarah Marquez had requested that the judge sentence the teen to no less than ten years, contending that Gonzalez was an alleged gang member of the “Gorilla Stones.”

The man’s grieving daughter also asked the judge to impose a stringent sentence in a letter written back in July. “Please, I ask that the defendant pay for what he has done,” she said.

“I believe in second chances, but I also believe the defendant must learn that actions have consequences. I hope it is known that my father not only had a family but was a son, a father, a grandfather.”

Bravo, she recognized, suffered from alcoholism but noted that, “He was loved by everyone.”

“It is painful to see that my daughters no longer have a grandfather,” she continued.

The suspect, who was 18-year-old at the time, burst into a rage after Bravo catcalled his cousin. After the incident, Bravo went into a coma and died five days later.

Defense attorney Luis Diaz, who had maintained in court documents that Gonzalez had a difficult childhood and was entitled leniency, declined to comment after the hearing.

Get the latest news from the world of crime